Wednesday, June 4, 2008

TWO...not one....TWO PEAS IN THE POD!!!

Okay, listen to this! Here is the account of my day. I woke up this morning and was kind of in a bit of a funk. I was SUPER tired today and I also was concerned because I didn't get up to use the restroom at all last night. I told Chris this morning that I was just really anxious to get to the doctor next week and make sure everything was going okay.

The day today went fine. I took my students on a field trip to New Market Battlefield. After the students left today I quickly used the restroom. When I did I noticed that I had some slight spotting. I instantly became concerned and called the doctor. They told me to come on in at 4:15 this afternoon. I went to the doctor and at the moment I arrived the doctor had to go to the ER for a surgery. So I waited....and I waited....the whole time praying, praying, praying that our baby would be okay. At around 5:15 I was called back into the room and was asked to undress and get ready for my exam.

The doctor came in and asked what had occurred previously in the day. I explained to her what I had seen and she comforted me by telling me that nearly 1/2 of all pregnant women have some type of spotting. She told me it was nothing that I was or was not doing that was causing anything to happen- so I couldn't put any stress on myself for that.
Already I was feeling better.
She then had me lay down and she began the ultrasound on me. She noticed that my bladder was very full (come on! I had been waiting an hour remember!!), and then she was showing me my uterus, etc. She then said to me "hmm....I am seeing something kind of strange." I was like "WHAT?? What's strange??" She said to me "I am seeing two yolk sacs." I said back to her "What's a yolk sac??" She said back to me "That would be two babies." "WHAT????" I asked her. And then my tears came. I was biting on my finger trying not to lose it, and also trying to let it all just sink in. But sure enough - sure as day - there before my eyes were two little yolk sacs.
She asked me to wrap a towel around my waist and then she took me to another room where I emptied my bladder and she used a fancier machine to take another look. Again she poked and prodded around and saw those amazing TWO yolk sacs.

The most amazing part? In those two precious yolk sacs were two amazing, perfect little heartbeats. HEARTBEATS!!! 2 OF THEM!!! I was shaking. SHAKING!! She took her time measuring them and taking pictures of them for me. She told me that I am not as far along as they thought I was. I am only about 5 1/2 weeks along in comparison to the 7 I thought I was.

She wants me to come back next Thursday when she thinks we will get an even better look as my pregnancy progresses.

Okay - so I go out to the front desk and this amazing receptionist Jill is working. She looks down at my paperwork and she says "TWINS?" I was shaking and I said to her "This is my first pregnancy. I know! Twins! And my husband is out of town tonight so I can't tell him over the phone, but I need to tell somebody!!!" She said to me "Who can you tell? Anyone?" I said "I can tell my brother and sister-in-law in Minnesota. They are the only other two who know!" I was just shaking, shaking, shaking and grinning from ear to ear. She was so genuinely thrilled and happy for us. It was so awesome sharing that moment with her.

I got out to the car and called my husband. I was intending on only telling him that everything was fine. So here is our conversation:
Him: How are you?
Me: I am great. Everything is fine!
Him: Everything's fine? Awesome. What happened?
Me: I had the ultrasound and everything! Everything is fine (being careful not to say "baby" or "babies!" I even got to see the heartbeat!
Him: Awesome! That is such great news.
Me: I even have pictures!
Him: Can you scan them and send them to me later?
Me: (realizing that I couldn't help myself and HAD to tell him!) Chris - can you sit down?
Him: What?
Me: Can you sit down for a minute?
Him: Why?
Me: Because we're having two babies.
Him: WHAT? You've got to be kidding me!
Me: (laughing) No, I'm not kidding. We're having two! There are two yolk sacs.
Him: No way, you've got to be kidding.
Me: NO, I'm not kidding!
I then proceed to tell him the entire story. He tells me that he is so overjoyed, not the least bit freaked out, and EXCITED!
Okay, so after I get off the phone with Chris I still wasn't finished sharing! I instantly call up Michael and Hayley. They don't answer their home phone in the first 1/2 a ring, so I call Mike's cell phone instead (I was a bit excited!!). Michael answered and here is our conversation:
Me: Hi Michael! Are you home?
Michael: Yep, sorry I couldn't get to the phone in time. I picked it up, but you were already gone.
Me: That's okay. Is Hayley home too?
Michael: Yep, she is home too.
Me: Just you and Hayley?
Michael: Yep, just me and Hayley. :)
Me: Well, I had to go to the dr. today.
Michae: Is everything okay?
Me: Yes, everything turned out to be fine. I was just having a little bit of bleeding.
Michael: Oh good, I am so glad. I'm so glad you know too.
Me: Well, I do have a little something to tell you though.
Michael: (very serious tone) What is it?
Me: There are two babies.
Michael: TWO? That is amazing!!!
Me: Laughing and screaming. YES, TWO!!!
In the background after hearing the word "two" from Michael's mouth I hear Hayley just yelling and screaming. She is going bonkers! She grabs the phone out of Michael's hand and is just yelling into the phone. Her and I both just SCREAMED!!!
We started talking about how this would mean two of everything. Instead of thinking of two possible baby names, now it would be four. Instead of one crib it would be two. Instead of one breastfeeding baby I'll be nursing TWO. It all hit me! I just started to scream!
It was SO great sharing in it with them. They are prayer warriors and I am so thankful to have them in the know. Now if time would only pass fast enough so that EVERYONE else could know too!!!
I just pray, pray, pray God's blood and protection over these precious little lives inside of me. I pray health, growth, perfect forming, perfect timing, perfect conditions. I pray God's touch on them every second as they continue to grow and form.
THANK You Lord for the miracle of life. THANK YOU Lord for how faithful you are.
Help me Lord to not freak out, to not read statistics and worry myself about twin pregnancies and odds and chances and all that. Help me to know that YOU are in control of both of their lives and destinies. Help me to rest and reside in that and in You. Thank you Lord for the conception of these two. Thank you for their heartbeats today. Already you know THEM. Already you have their destiny and future mapped out.
You are amazing and so good.



In the picture above you can see those two little balls in the picture? Those are our two babies! There were two tiny flickers. Two little heartbeats just pumping away.
Here again you can see, although not quite as clearly, those TWO yolk sacs.
WOW! What a day. What a range of emotions. God's got our hands every step of the way through this journey!