Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Twin Pregnancy Fun

The good times continued yesterday. Nothing quite as exciting as what happened Monday, but still enough to keep us guessing! Yesterday afternoon once we got home I took my 1 pm dose of my contraction medication. I laid down and pretty soon I was experiencing severe, sharp pains on the left side of my chest. I became a bit concerned, but tried to rest through it. Around 6 I took a Zantac, as I usually do before dinner, and noticed that the pain went away for a little while. I ate dinner and around 8:30 the pain started up again. The pain was incredible! Every breath I took, every time I swallowed, every drink of water....it all sent this sharp shooting pain right through what I thought was my heart.
When Chris got home from class I mentioned it to him and we thought we'd give it the night and see how it went. I tried to sleep in bed, but there was no way that was happening so I moved instead to the recliner in the nursery. That too wasn't cutting it so I moved to the couch out in the living room. I truly thought I might be having a heart attack and thoughts were even going through my head about leaving my babies in this world without a mother! At around 1:30 a.m. I took a breath and the pain was instantly gone in a flash. I took a few more breaths just to be sure...and sure enough...no pain! I nearly started crying! I came back to the bedroom and slept so soundly from 2-7. Amazing.
I had never felt this pain until yesterday afternoon so I immediately associated it with the contraction medication that they put me on. This morning Chris woke me at 7 and I was too scared to take the medicine again in fear that it would start up. I called the Dr. and was told to not take the medication, but instead to spend the day laying on my side, drinking fluids and just resting.
I had been feeling much better today and hadn't experienced any of those chest pains until lunch. Chris brought me a plate of spaghetti, salad, and bread and once again I noticed that every time I swallowed a bite of food I would nearly double over with this sharp pain searing through the left side of my chest.
I mentioned this to Chris and he got online to investigate. We feel like detectives trying to figure out what's going on. He was able to find many cases of women (often times with twins) who had experienced similar pain during their pregnancies. It appeared to be nothing more than extreme indigestion and heartburn in their cases. Many of them were put on higher doses of Zantac, changed their diet, ate a bottle of Tums a day, and the problem cleared up!
SO....we'll see! I'm going to try dinner and see if the pain flares back up again for this evening. If it does we will then know that it is not the contraction medication, but instead perhaps just a wonderful case of extreme heartburn.
I'm sorry to post about the not so great side of all this too...but I want these boys to have a documented account of EVERY part of this pregnancy. Maybe I can use this to my advantage some day. :)
Please just cross your fingers that we'll figure out what's going on, that I won't die :), and that I would continue to carry these precious little buggers for many more weeks to come. Oh the joys.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

and what kind of bland food did Chris made for you to avoid heartburn???
Some day your sons will be amazed at all they see their mother and father went through!
Sleep well tonight little one.
love mom

Anonymous said...

Some day you will just laugh at all this Beth.. but I know you are not laughing now---God is good and he will not give you any more pain than you can handle! Sleep well my child-love Dad

Auntie M said...

Heartburn sounds like a very likely diagnosis, Dr. and Dr. Hardesty! Well done. Those guys aren't giving your organs a lot of space right now, are they, Beth!!

I am so grateful that you are bringing us along on this journey. I feel so priviledged and blessed to watch and pray for you each day.

Love, Auntie M

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's good you post the good and not so good....great amunition for the boys one day...cleaning their rooms ,doing their household chores..lol
Sissafren, I'm sorry you had such freaky thoughts of heart attack,but i am sure that is not the case, God has called you to be a mother/steward of these 2 boys...and that you will be for many,many,many years!!

I love you...I'm actuallu checking your blog here at work..its fun!

Love you both...actually make that 4!

Stubborn Hope said...

ooh...I had that once. It TOTALLY feels like you're having a heart attack! I'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth! I know this is no laughing matter...this gastric reflux. But here is a little comedic take on it from my little pea-brain:) One day the boys will read it and think their Mawmaw was a weird chick:)

G=Great balls of fire!
A=Ask me if I need a Tums!!
S=Spaghetti? What spaghetti?
T=Time for a little Mylanta!
R-Red hot and sassy!
I=I-YI-YI-YI-YI!!!
C=Red Hot Chili Peppers-I don't even want to listen to them:)

R=Real pregnant women have reflux.
E=Enough is Enough!!!!
F=Flag down the fire truck!
L=Lots of love scrunching that little tummy of yours!
U=Unbelievable love you have for your babies!
X=X-treme makeover after the twins come...and no more reflux!!!

You are fantastic, Beth!!!
Love, Mom H.

Beth said...

My mother-in-law is truly a nut! :) Thanks for the acrostic poem. Haha. I need to keep it all in perspective! I'm looking forward to looking back and laughing at it Dad! :)

Anonymous said...

It is so good to be able to keep uo with your news.

Much love,
Jack