Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bedrest

What a shocker! We went to the Dr. yesterday for our quick check-up on the boys and found out that my cervix has weakened a bit in the past two weeks. Due to this the Dr. turned and looked at me and said "That's it!" I asked her if she meant I should possibly start working part time. She said "Nope, you're done." I said, "Do you mean soon?" She said , "You're not going back tomorrow!" So there you have it! Just like that I am out of work.
The boys themselves looked great. They have flipped themselves all the way around and are both head down right now. Their hearts were beating away and their fluids looked good - it's just a matter now of keeping them in there for as long as possible.
We are making our goal right now the 32 week mark - which is 9 weeks away. At that point the Dr. said they can be born healthy and usually have no long term problems. If we can make it past that point we will be thrilled...but at this point we are taking it one day at a time.
THANK YOU ALL for your phone calls, emails, prayers. I feel overwhelmed and in awe of the love from our family and friends. These boys are so loved already!
I truly feel peace about the entire situation and just want to make the most of this time these next many weeks. I am going to take it seriously and I plan on doing nothing much more than just lay on the couch and eat food to get these little men as big as possible before their big debut. My hopes are high and I am feeling great right now.
Please continue to pray though that my cervix would regain strength and that any feelings of contractions or pressure would not come. I do feel like I am walking on eggshells some - so I just want to stay off my feet as much as possible.
I may a bit bad on the blog here until I get a computer that I can lay in bed with. I don't even like to sit up!
I also just want to say that I work for an AMAZING school and work with an AMAZING team. They responded amazingly well yesterday and just soothed all my fears and feelings of guilt for putting it on them so suddenly. My teammates Irene and Cheryl are truly remarkable and I don't have words to express my gratitude towards them and all that they are taking on as they deal with me leaving so abruptly. THANK YOU BOTH!
I'll be in touch and give updates as I can.
Love you all.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, the EXACT same thing happened to me. Well, not my cervix b ut the size difference in the girls caused me to go on bed rest and not return to work. It was soooo hard just leaving work, the students, the staff. I felt so irresponsible not leaving sub plans or cleaning my room, not telling the students, report cards (actually I did finish report cards. I gave grades on what I could). My last day was toward the end of Oct. and the girls were born at the end of Jan. It was hard, very hard the first few days as my world just somewhat stopped, but after awhile I managed to accomplish a lot, read a lot, watch good movies and made a lot of connections on line.

So, I guess all of that is to say I know EXACTLY what you are going through right now. The most important thing is to rest, rest rest, drink lots of water, gain weight for the boys and enjoy this time as much as you can.

I will be praying for you, the boys and your hubby. It definitely is an adjustment for everyone.

Kelly said...

Forgot to mention I didn't have a computer in bed for the first week. I was dying! I even sent an email (when I did get up) to my Principal telling her to tell any teacher to let me know if I could cut anything out, fold anything, bubble any standards test. I was SO bored.

Then I was able to get internet and that saved my sanity!! I hope you get internet/computer soon!!

Mrs. Halterman said...

You will be in our thoughts and prayers during these coming weeks, Beth. And try not to worry - just put it all into God's hands and He'll take care of you all.

Stubborn Hope said...

Beth! I'm so sorry you have to be on bedrest! I know it's the best thing for the babies and you are such a good mommy to be so careful! I wish I were closer so I could bring you meals! I'm only a phone call away...if you're bored, call anytime! :)
Love you!