Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Placenta Goes to School

Last night I was reading a book called "Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy." I was reading the chapter on labor and delivery (yikes) and I was reading about how after delivering the babies you also deliver your placenta. I had heard that before but I then read that the placenta can possibly weigh anywhere from a pound to a pound and a half. I mentioned to Chris that it would almost be like delivering a third child! I think that's how the dream I had last night came to be.
Here is my dream:
The day arrived when my babies would be brought into this world. I delivered two beautiful children. One of them was an African American boy and the other was a blond haired, blue eyed girl. Now I did not deliver babies, I delivered children. They were probably both about 10 years old and they were able to sit and talk with me about the entire experience. (Luckily my dream did not have details of the actual delivery of these rather large children) I remember being a little shocked that we had a girl. I was sad knowing that we wouldn't be able to use both of our little boy names. Instead, we named her Makayla. I remember thinking that we would have to change her name eventually because that is the name of my friend Dana's daughter and that just wouldn't be fair to copy her name!
Here is where my dream gets a little odd...well, at least even more odd. I had to breastfeed my babies and I was nervous about how it would go the first time. I noticed though that there was a monitor on each child. The monitor had two sides. One side said hungry and the other side said full. The hungry side was lit up until I began to feed them, and then it would ding and the light would switch to full. I thought this was so handy and my ten year old babies were so good at breastfeeding! Sick isn't it?
Since my newborns were already ten years old they obviously had to go to school, so in my dream we enrolled them. We also though enrolled my third child, the placenta.
Right about there is where my dream stopped.
Anyone want to take a crack at interpreting that one? :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like too much pickled okra and long horn chesse for the 2a.m. snack. Toss in a can of veinna sauages, too! Love Dad H.

Hollie Allen said...

Oh my...craziness!

So, the bedrest thing stinks, but just remember, it is the hardest part of having twins. Once those babies come home, it will seem so much easier than the days when you did nothing but hope to keep them in a bit longer. When we brought our twins home, it was very difficult, but never as difficult as bedrest. I am such a stronger person now because of those challenging days. I totally understand feeling so gross that you just want to hide and not let anyone in the door. People would bring meals and I wanted them to just leave them at the door and leave. How sad.
Smile, it can only get better. :)

God's love,
Hollie

pyrotechny said...

Check my blog for a little surprise!

Brittany said...

Oh thank God you're dream stopped there!

Elizabeth said...

That is so hilarious...just chalk it up to hormones. I had a dream where I delivered puppies. I used to laugh at people who had those dreams until I went through it. You are normal. It's OK. Maybe you have a deep fear that your kids will grow up too quickly...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your subconscious mind is trying to process all the feelings you are experiencing. Thank goodness it was only a dream.
I have to agree with Dad, that pickled okra and long horn cheese will do it to you every time:)
Love, Mom H.

Anonymous said...

What did you name the placenta??!!!
I had some weird dreams when I was pregnant and after Carter was born I had awful dreams. Before long any dreams were replaced by the dreamless sleep of exhaustion. Now that the kids are almost 2 & 4 the sleep is much sweeter for all of us!

Hang in there, Beth! I am sure that time feels like it is crawling but these next weeks are so important for those little guys! If it relieves you at all, Carter was born at 29 weeks and absolutely thrived! The first few weeks were scary but he is our walking (and running and jumping) miracle. There were so many tiny but tough babies in the NICU when we were there. I am really thankful for the lessons I learned about life and faith during that time.
Take care! Lori Groinus

Kristen said...

Well, at least you had kids in your dream, I had a dream when I was pregnant with Kaylee that I delivered a placenta...no kid...pregnancy dreams are so weird!

Cheryl said...

Happy Double Digit Day! You made it out of the triple digits my dear! Congrats! I remember it felt like such a major milestone, I couldn't believe that no one else really even recognized it. I know it will probably be less than 99 days.... but even that is soon. Your little guys will be here before you know it! Can't wait to meet ya Butch and Ned!

pyrotechny said...

I noticed that too, Cheryl, earlier, and I was just getting around to posting a comment, and YOU BEAT ME TO IT! Congrats on getting into the double digits! I don't ever remember counting DAYS! BUT- I wasn't sitting around waiting, either :-( Chin up, girl! The best days are ahead!

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing group of cheerleaders Beth!!!
I love you!!!!!
Mom

Kristy said...

Nice, Betty. Nice. That was hilar. Thanks for the laugh!