Thursday, December 18, 2008

They Have Arrived!

How can I even begin to put into words the life changing event that took place just three days ago? Life for Chris and I will truly never be the same, and for that we are so blessed.

I want to document and share here the story of their arrival into this world.

Monday morning I woke up around 6:30 to use the restroom. I noticed that I was having a bit more discharge than usual, but didn't think much of it. I went back to bed and woke up at 8 to begin the day. I was laying in bed eating a cereal bar talking with Chris and began to notice that I was having some odd contractions. They seemed a bit more intense and just different from what I had experienced prior. Chris kept looking at me and asking me if I was okay and I just told him that something felt different but I couldn't explain it. I then decided to get up and try to use the restroom again.

Once I stood up out of bed I felt a gush and knew that something was happening. I went to the bathroom and felt another gush, this time resulting in a puddle on the bathroom floor. I told Chris that it was time to go! He started to rush around gathering things together and within 10 minutes we were on our way to the hospital. The time was about 9:00 a.m.

In the car on the way up my contractions were becoming more and more intense. They were occurring about once every 3 minutes and they were enough to make me practice my breathing skills whenever they would come on!

We arrived at the hospital at 9:50 and I was able to walk up to Labor and Delivery. I told the nurses station that I believed I might be in labor. My contractions were still coming about every 3 minutes. They didn't seem too alarmed or concerned because I was still able to function pretty normally and even I didn't think that I was in full blown labor.

I was weighed and then sent to collect a urine sample. I then noticed that I was bleeding and realized that perhaps this was the real deal after all! I was put into an examining room and the Dr. came in to check my cervix and see how dilated I was. At this point the contractions started to become even more intense and were only about a minute apart. When she checked me she said that she could not feel any cervix at all and believed that I was fully dilated. Talk about shocked!

They quickly got a stretcher and told me that I would be wheeled to the O.R. just in case they would possibly have to do a c-section and off we went! Chris was changed into scrubs and entered the O.R. with me. Within another 10 minutes I was on the table and I was pushing. This was around 1o:30.

Never in my life have I experienced anything quite like it. I won't go into any excessive explanation, but yet I do want to document to some extent what I went through that day. I had Chris on my right side throughout the entire ordeal. He was an amazing coach and I get choked up just thinking about how incredible he was. I also had an amazing nurse on my left side who spoke such comforting words of affirmation to me to keep me motivated. Chris kept cool rags on my forehead and was so supportive and encouraging of how I was doing.

I pushed for 2 hours when Ethan Douglas, Baby A, made his debut. He weighed 5 pounds, 3 ounces and was 18 3/4 inches long. The Dr. told me to open my eyes and I was able to look down the moment he arrived and see my first son. He was so beautiful and I was completely overwhelmed with emotion and love. He was whisked away to be cleaned, tested, clipped and all that good stuff they do to newborn babies. The neonatal Dr. brought him to me all swaddled and with a little hat on his head and I was able to kiss him before he was brought to the NICU.

It was then time to begin concentrating on Baby B. They did a quick ultrasound to determine if his was still head down. He was. They positioned me and had me start pushing right away. I was exhausted. They put an electrode on his head to have an accurate reading of his heart rate. His heart rate began to drop and they told me that we would push for another 5 minutes and if he didn't drop into the birth canal we would have to do a c-section. I pushed and sweet little B was not moving. The Dr. decided that an emergency c-section was needed to get him out as soon as possible.

Within minutes I was laying on my back with my arms stretched out to my side. They had me breathing in oxygen. There was a lot of talking and commotion in the O.R. The last thing I remember they switched my mask and out I went.

I woke up in the recovery room and was told that my other son, Grayson John, had been born. They had discovered that my placenta was starting to separate from the wall of my uterus and they think this played a large part in his dropping heart rate. I was just so relieved to wake up and know that he was safe and sound in the N.I.C.U. and that the entire ordeal was over.

Chris came in to the recovery room and spent time with me feeding me ice chips. He recounted for me some of the minutes that I was unable to remember. He was placed outside of the operating room in a chair for the c-section and said that it was intense watching people rushing past him to get into the o.r. Grayson John was born at 12:53. He weighed 5 pounds, 2 ounces and was 19 inches long.

After I was awake and alert they wheeled my entire bed into the N.I.C.U. so that I could see my boys. They laid Ethan in my arms and I was able to hold and kiss him. Due to the positioning of Grayson and the bed I was able to touch and reach out to him. They were special, surreal moments and I was in total awe. The nurses took pictures of our first few minutes together. I was a Mom.

I was then wheeled into my hospital room where I have been ever since. Later on that evening they had me get up and I was able to be wheeled down to see the boys again. This time Chris and I were able to talk with the nurses and get to know more about how the boys were doing.

The nurses and their doctor have been nothing but amazing in taking time for us and answering any and all of our questions. We are encouraged to spend as much time as we want in there with the boys. It is open to us pretty much 24/7.

Yesterday I was able to hold Grayson for two hours in my arms skin to skin. I had tears rolling down my cheeks as I felt his heart beating next to mine and as I placed my hand on his back and felt it rise and sink with each breath.

The boys are doing incredibly well considering their early arrival just three days ago. We know that they are in great care and feel very optimistic about their prognosis. I love seeing them every day and having time with them.

We are so in love. Chris and I were saying today that it is amazing how much love we can have for these two little boys that we barely know. It goes beyond rational thought and human words. I have never felt such an incredible love and protection over anything in my life quite like this.

Thank you for your continued prayers for them. Please keep them coming. We know that the days ahead may be filled with highs and lows until the day they come home to live with us. We leave it in God's hands and know that in His perfect timing they will.

16 comments:

pyrotechny said...

ok..*sniff*sniff*...what an amazing story. You girl, are not a complainer, I see...and I am so proud of you. You now know what the rest of us could have only made a meager attempt to explain...I'm afraid that you are *ruined* for life. Nothing will be the same, ever again. But you wouldn't want it any other way, either. Enjoy the greatest adventure of your life- Mom and Dad!

Blackwell said...

I am overwhelmed with joy for you guys!! Call it pregnant hormones, but I was crying the entire time I read that post!! How amazing Beth!! So amazing!!

Brittany said...

Welcome to motherhood.

Dana said...

What a beautiful, beautiful story for a beautiful FAMILY! I am so excited for you all! You and Chris will be, and already are, amazing parents. Thanks for sharing your incredible story. You are such a strong woman. I am glad everyone is doing so well!

Love ya!

Mawmaw Hardesty said...

What an amazing couple you two are. Beth, every day I thank God for you, your strength, your love for Chris and your boys. Chris, every day, I thank God for you, your strength, your love for Beth and your boys. To witness your love and devotion to your boys makes me get a lump in my throat:) I am so grateful that you are at Winchester Medical Center and that you are all receiving exactly the care that you each need. Those boys are precious and I see them in my mind almost every moment of my waking day.
Love to all of you,
Mom H.

Kristy said...

Oh Beth! It is just so amazing. There are just no words available to describe how it feels. A love that is unexplainable...beautiful! I agree with Julie, you are *ruined* for life! Its like watching your heart walk around outside of your body.

Such a beautiful story. I am all teary eyed just thinking of the incredible journey that has culminated to this time. A true gift from the Father. You and Kringle are the perfect team! Enjoy every minute with those little men!:) Love ya.

Jolanthe said...

I am so happy for you I am crying. :) So just add me to the list of bawlers.

Cannot wait to see you all and be able to fully share in all the happiness with you four!

Congratulations you two!

Kelly said...

OH MY GOODNESS! PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Way to go momma! I just had a feeling they were born. 34 weeks and a 2 days?? That is SUPER!!! Their weights are really great too!!

Are they growers and feeders or did they need a little cpap? Either way, they will be home in no time.

I just loved reading the details. Your love for your family is so strong. Its great to know of the names now as well!

I hope you are healing well and can't wait to see pictures of your little guys!

Cheryl said...

thanks for sharing! so precious! just amazing! Sending prayers your way! so true... words can NOT express!

Hollie Allen said...

Thanks for the tears...this is going to be such an amazing journey. Okay, off to kiss my sweet twins up in their bedrooms as I cry a few more tears of joy!

Way to go...you are amazing!

God bless,

Hollie

Davene said...

Tears here, too, as I read...what an amazing story!

I love the names you chose!

Many congratulations to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!

Stubborn Hope said...

AAAAAHHHHH! Congratulations Beth! I'm so incredibly happy for you. I can't wait to see pictures and talk to you (when you're ready, of course!) I love you so much! You are a WONDERFUL mommy!

Anonymous said...

I guess this is my last comment entry since it is time for a new chapter to start. You both beat me to it for time to write this as I was going to do it Mon.(15th) later in the day.........but the phone rang in the morning with Chris' voice saying, "Dad, we think Beth's water broke and we are on our way to the hospital!"
Dad..."Where are you now ?"
Chris.."Passing Burger King!"
Dad..."Okay, I'll call Mom (who was on her way to the church office in Harrisonburg)
(and in the back ground Dad could hear the acceleration of motor noise.) We'll be on our way too, be careful!"
Chris... "We will, we're already on the Interstate(81)!"
.............and we all know the rest of the story.
My comment for that day was going to go something like this; When those boys get here, I know you both will be glad, happy and releived. You all wil be good parents and they will grow up in a happy home turning into fine young men (maybe one will be governor and one will be superintendent of the state police, ha!). Whatever they do in God's plan, I know they will do fine and you will be proud of them! God bless all 4 of you!!!
Love,Dad H.

Elizabeth said...

Incredible...congratulations. Enjoy those beautiful boys. And, what cute names! Enjoy every moment...write things down...they change so fast and you forget...

Christin said...

You have me in tears!

Welcome to Motherhood...there's nothing in the world like it. It immediately rushes your entire being with love and knits your heart to so many other women, who also bear the name "mommy".

can't wait to meet your sons

hug to you and your FAMILY!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Beth and Chris!!
Even after having Jordan and Audrey I am still amazed at how perfect and wonderful my little Loretta is. Babies are truly a miracle of God. Take care of yourself, I know a new mom can sometimes forget to do that. Can't wait to see pics.
Holly