Well, it is past due for an update from the Dad to be. The last month or so has been great. A few weeks ago Beth and I spent a weekend registering for showers. If for no other reason, it was time well spent just getting acquainted with all the baby "stuff" on the market. What an education! Taking time to really understand what all the different things are and what they're meant for helped a lot. It didn't take much more than a good, educated guess to understand what a breast pump was, but I've noticed that the names of many things aren't so intuitive. There seems to be a baby gear code - deciphering and understanding the meaning of secret baby code words like Boppy, Bumbo, and binky has taken some work, but I'm getting there.
By now we've gotten the nursery pretty much furnished; largely due to generous family and friends. We appreciate all the help! Last week I was walking by the nursery and decided to take just a few minutes to go in and sit down in the recliner. It was one of those moments when a good dose of reality sinks in. I was surrounded by two cribs, a changing table, and a dresser. Some of the very first baby clothing we've received was hanging off the changing table. There's already a small collection of stuff animals scattered about. And there are a few thin picture books - the ones I remember from my childhood - on one of the changing table shelves. As I was looking around the room I just thought of all the things to come. What memories (the good, the bad, and, I suppose occasionally, the very ugly) will be made in that room!
The doctor visits are a lot of fun, but always somewhat stressful. You just hope and have faith that everything is going the way it should. Not sure if Beth covered this, but I am very proud to report that during our last visit it was VERY :) obvious that there are two boys in there. They seem content - moving around, kicking, stretching - head to head. About one pound each! I can tell they're already best buds...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Chris--let me be the first to Comment on your thoughts and words. It is so fun to hear the thoughts coming from the male in the family--well,, The only male that can type so far that is. some of the new words out there now were not around when we had our three.WE had things like jonnie jump up and others.Enjoy the quiet because I assure you your house will be rocking and rolling very soon! and yes you could encounter some "ugly" on that changing table!!
LOve You JOHN
Chris, you are so precious to me. I remember the moment you were born...and many other moments...some not so pretty as in when you woke from your nap and covered the crib, yourself, and the room (including baseboards) with a giant jar of Vaseline and then powered everything with the big box of Johnson's Baby Powder. I could'nt see anything but your big, brown eyes when I went up to check on you. You were as quiet as a little mouse. When I think of there being "two" just like you, you and Beth had better prepare yourselves for the ride of your life. Enjoy every moment of it...because one day you will be leaving a comment on one of their baby blogs when they are expecting their first baby:)
Love and blessings to you all,
Mom
This is a P.S. from your mother regarding your excitement over the little one's anatomy...like father like son's. Remember how much you just loved running around the house just laughing and laughing after your bath without a stitch of clothing...just wanting all to know you were a happy little boy. Great memories! Your little boys are so fortunate to have a daddy like you.
Love, Mom
daddy Chris, Grandma Hardesty, and Grandpa Berres...you all gave me some tears! And a few laughs Linda! I can just picture cute little Chris with his dimples and mischieveous grin...
It is so wonderful to hear from the father's perspective! I cannot imagine the thoughts and feelings that you were experiencing as you sat in that nursery!
You and Beth will be blessings in their lives. They are so fortunate!!
I love you!
Mom B
Kringle, I love reading your thoughts! You are in for the ride of a lifetime...the good, the bad and the ugly is right! But the good news is the GOOD way out weighs the bad. You are going to be such an amazing dad to these two precious, little boys. It is so fun to watch as you and Beth go on this journey of becoming parents.
And I must say, you are doing pretty well with your 'baby lingo' knowing what boppies and bumbos are. Way to go, Kringle, way to go. :)
From granddaddy H.....Its been a while since my last comment. I remember the baby bottles sterilizing on the stove in a pan, and all the extras like the rubber nipples and the screw on rings,etc. You got all this put together and sat down for a quiet, peaceful feeding time (the good). Then came the burping time. Sometimes if you were lucky you had the burping cloth over your shoulder in the right position, if you didn't, then it was the (bad) time. As for the (ugly) time, somme of that time hinged an a diaper pail each morning full of used cloth diapers (cheaper than disposaples for a struggling family) soaking in bleach water over night..... but the real (ugly) sometimes does come on the changing table (and also at other unexpected times and unexpected places). But, as time goes on and you look across the kitchen table at those smiling faces, your big old Momma and Daddy hearts will say "where did the time go , I wish I could do it all again"! God bless all 4 of you, love Dad H.
Post a Comment