Thursday, December 10, 2009

WinterONEderlands and Surprises

We celebrated the boys first birthday a bit early so that all of the family on Chris's side could make it. Our theme was WinterONEderland. I loved the theme because I didn't have to do much more work than I would have done anyhow! We put our tree up, adorned our house with Christmas decor, a couple snowmen, snowflakes, and a few balloons and voila! A wonderland!
It was pretty obvious that God was digging my idea for a theme, so he sent 6 inches of snow to truly make it fit. He pays attention to details like that. Nicely played. :)

We kept the party pretty small and just invited family. This house heats up like an oven when people come over and there isn't a ton of space for inviting, so we figured that for this year smaller was better.

People began showing up around 4. We had appetizers and drinks set out so we were mingling, eating, and talking before dinner. At one point Chris's mom went and shut the front door that we had propped open. She said she was cold which was completely crazy - cuz I tell ya people - that woman is never cold! :) Chris and I looked at each other a bit skeptically, but forgot about it and moved on to other conversations. The thought did cross my mind that perhaps she had a surprise Santa coming for the boys or something....but I never was expecting what did come!A few minutes later this blue Equinox slowly made the way down our street. I glanced out the window and saw it, but once again thought nothing of it as cars turn around by our house all the time. My niece Jessica asked "Who is that?" Linda was quick to pipe up "Oh, I'm sure it's just someone turning around!" She then got me talking about working out or gallons of ice cream or something...

A couple of minutes later the front door opened and I heard my fathers voice singing "Happy Birthday to You..." AHHHHH!!!! I lept from my chair. I think I seriously ditched my son in the middle of the living room floor and flew to the top of the steps. There stood my parents, my brother Mike, and his wife Hayley! I could not believe it. Could not. I never, ever suspected anything and was completely caught off guard. I don't think I have ever been so surprised in my life and I think I showed it too. I couldn't even hug them! I ran back the hallway, came back and looked at them, and ran back down it again. I was screaming and crying - and just making a plain fool out of myself!

It was truly the best gift that they could have ever have given to me. It's hard sometimes to have my family so far away - especially now that I have children that I want them to be involved with. I hated the thought of them missing this party and not being here to see them eat their first slice of cake.

It just made it so complete and made me one happy little hostess.

The boys did great throughout the entire party. They ate their dinner, with the help of Grandpa, Aunt Hayley, and Daddy. They opened their gifts and really enjoyed tearing the bows and paper off the packages. They received so many beautiful, thoughtful presents.
They weren't so sure what to think of the cake. We set down a slice in front of them and Ethan started to cry! I think he was overwhelmed with this big ole' hunk of food in front of his face. I broke it up in to smaller pieces for him though and he then dug right on in! Grayson made such funny faces whenever he would take a bite of the frosting. They both polished off an entire slice though and had the mess to prove it!

I can not believe that my little men are going to be one. I still have five days before that reality needs to sink in though, so more on that to come at another time!

Mom!!!
So surprised!
The gang (James, Jessica, Mary, Dad, Linda, Grayson and Renee's nose and knee :)

Are we eating or are we playing?
This is serious stuff!


Opening gifts (G with Chris and E with me)




Sweetie Eety



The cake (not made by me!)

Singing Happy Birthday

Ethan digging in
What a face Grayson!

3 comments:

John Berres said...

so happy we made it through the snow storm to get there for their big day--got to be one of the top highlights in my life

Mawmaw Hardesty said...

It truly was an awesome "one-of-a-kind" day. To see Beth so excited was just the best...and I think Chris was just floored! I was so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa Berres, Uncle Michael and Aunt Hayley. Truly miss Uncle David. It is always wonderful to have the Berres/Hardesty/Hiter families together. What a blessing for Grayson and Ethan on their very first birthday. Beth, you should write for a living...you are gifted in that department.

Cheryl said...

i L-O-V-E that cake!!!! and i cried when i read that your family came for this 1 yr birthday party... how precious! :)