Friday, February 6, 2009

My So Called Life

I used to love that show, but that's not the point of this post.

Life has been CRAZY around here! I love most moments - and it is really getting better day by day. We are getting in a groove and the boys seem to be responding to it pretty well. They are eating about 4 ounces (give or take) every three hours and growing like mad men! Yesterday Ethan weighed in at 9 lbs. 8 oz. and Grayson was 9 lbs. 2 oz. 4 pounds over their birth weight! When I pick them up out of their cribs I can't believe they are my little NICU babies!

The time with my parents and brother was incredible. They were such incredible help - more than I even think I realized until they left! We had such special time together and I will never forget the memories we made or the special bond that was created between the boys and their Grandpa and Grandma Berres and Uncle Schmoodie.

After Mom and Dad left Chris and I decided that we would take a week to do it all on our own just to see how it would go. Well - by Tuesday morning as I tried to tandem feed both boys and Chris found me in hysteric tears we decided that going it alone may not be the greatest idea quite yet and we humbly asked our family for help. :) Knowing that there will be someone else around to help with feedings, laundry, bottle prep, tooshie cleaning, etc. makes me feel so much relief. I was just finding myself stressing way too much and not even enjoying this time with the boys. The hour and a half between feedings was just zipping by and I wasn't able to get anything accomplished. I am also pumping every few hours - so it didn't leave any time to do much else. The stress and lack of sleep were getting to me...but we asked some of our family for help and they jumped right at it and we are SO grateful! It is amazing how much work two little babies can make!

I am so in love with these little guys. They are changing every day. We are really starting to see their personalities come out. They may look alike, but they act very different. Ethan is very laid back and calm while Grayson is our wild little grunting man. We have heard a few coos come from each one of them and they are SO close to smiling. They look you in the eyes so deeply and this look of excitement and joy just comes over their face. Their eyes seem to dance! Last night I was holding little Ethan across my lap and I just cried with such incredible joy at the gift of these two. I just bury my face into their little necks and kiss them to pieces. I need to do it while I can because I know one day they will be pushing their Mama away!

They are loving their baths in the water. Their Daddy is the best bath giver that I have ever seen. He really seems to enjoy that time with them. They just watch every move he makes and let him know when he does something they don't like! They have given him a couple "gifts" in the tub during their bath that he always appreciates! Yesterday he had to change his shirt three times after being peed on twice and spit up on once. We just had to laugh! We are always covered in something!

There really are no words to describe this experience of being a parent. It is completely overwhelming and time consuming - but yet I would not trade a minute of it or want to be anywhere else (although a little time out of the house every now and then is nice!).

I hear one of them waking up from their nap - so I am off. Here are a few pictures from the past couple of weeks. I bought a new camera so there are many more pictures to come!



8 comments:

Davene said...

Such sweet pictures!

I'm so glad you asked for help...and received it so quickly. I remember how my world was rocked by having my first child--and I didn't have twins to deal with. Between the lost sleep, hormones, excitement, hormones, adjustment, HORMONES, I didn't know which way was up sometimes! Thank God for loving family to support us during these times.

Sherry said...

So glad you have help Beth!
Did you ever think you'd refer to a shower as "me time"?!
Sherry

Elizabeth said...

It's helps to remember that this is only a season. They won't always be this small and need to be fed so often and need so much constant attention. Before you hardly blink, they are all over the place. But, keep asking for help...they love it, I assure you...

Hollie Allen said...

Okay, I can't stay away from your blog now and after reading your last post, I remember those feelings and tears of frustration and joy! The first day I decided to do it alone, I found myself in tears hooked up to the pump and then eventually had to call 911 for my wee-little Drewby choking from his reflux while changing him. After the paramedics left and looking at myself covered in poo,spit-up and breastmilk, I decided the help was still very much needed. I was not left alone until the twins were 2 months old. I also had a 2 year old running around the house and he was often "hooked-up" to his own breastpump(not plugged in of course)...he went through a lot too. :) Hope that makes you feel better.

Mawmaw Hardesty said...

We are all so privileged to be able to help you and Chris and those precious little ones. You are all a true blessing to us and we know you both are doing an excellent job coping with all the changes taking place day by day. Just watching the two of you interact with them makes me teary-eyed and gives me goose bumps. I was talking to Chris on the phone today as he described bath time...with you doing a baby lotion massage to one as he was bathing the other and all the cooing and communication going on between the boys...and to look into the eyes of those little ones...for them to make eye contact with you and then see their little eyes and facial expressions as if they are processing each moment and just about to burst to express themselves. Truly a blessing and we are all so blessed by God to be able to love and adore these little ones...and their mommy and daddy:)
Love, Mom H.

Irene said...

Move over Anne Geddis! Love that black and white picture! So adorable!

I have been thinking about you and sympathizing with you about your parents leaving. I remember how difficult that was for me every time (yes, even after the 3rd)! I don't know if it was the help, the emotional support, or just living so far away that caused me to cry for hours after they left (yes, probably the baby hormones too!)but I can't imagine how that would feel with 2 babies to take care of. I am so glad that you asked your family for help. I'm sure they love it! When we are able to see you, you better ask us for help too!

pyrotechny said...

I.love. it! Love the photos, thanks so much for including me in this special time.


Does remind me of those days, you know the ones where you realize JUST how much you can really get done in 20 minutes!

Hope you get another trip to the grocery store soon!

hippie momma said...

How was Walmart? Did you ever think going to a store could be such a relief???? I see you are enjoying the new camera.